Saturday, January 9, 2010

Nelson on the sea

Took the bus this afternoon from Picton to Nelson. The driver was a middle aged kiwi named Frank. A couple approached the bus and Frank opened the door, "well, hello there folks. Where are you headed today?" They replied, "We'd like to go to Nelson." Frank smiled and replied, "Well I don't! I've already been there!" Ok, it was funnier at the time. We chatted a bit about nothing consequential while I chucked my backpack under the bus. He told me it was going to be a nearly empty bus today. Apparently the 2 earlier runs today were packed, but this one only had about a dozen people spread throughout 40-some-odd seats. So the ride was quiet and the scenery was beautiful. Though I could have done without some of the sights down the huge mountain side next to the road as we approached Nelson.
Well I arrived in Nelson to The Bug backpackers. It is a cute place with tile floors and VW Bug knickknacks everywhere. I'm in another 8 person dorm room which, far from ideal, is at least cheap. The backpackers lodge is about 2 km from the bus stop in town so they offer pick-up and drop-off service to visitors. Of course the last place I was staying in Picton did the same thing and they turned out to be about 2 blocks from the ferry terminal. It was a little embarrassing to get into the van only to find out the hostel was within sight from where they picked me up. This time I decided to tough up and walk it. It was actually a nice walk, packs notwithstanding. I was a little extra sweaty when I arrived, but not uncomfortable. The town of Nelson looks to be an adorable little village with shopping galore and loads of cafes and restaurants. The hostel is within walking distance of the beach, so if all goes as planned I will head out for the beach in the morning for a bit.

No comments: