Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Pocus, my friend and cat of 23 years, was euthanized this evening. He's been having seizures since late last week as a result of renal failure. The kidney failure was bound to be terminal and the seizures were causing brain damage and stress for him. So my mum took him to the vet and they put him down before he was in too bad of shape from him rapidly declining health.

I wish I could have been there, but there wasn't anything to be done about it. I'm a wreck today, I miss him terribly and feel bad that my mum had to do this on her own. He and I grew up together, I don't even remember a time when he wasn't around. I knew he was getting old when I left home for college, so I said my goodbyes each time I went home for a weekend visit, just in case. Of course, after 6 years of bracing for his death, I think part of me started to feel like he'd always be around. I haven't seen him since I left the US over a year ago.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am feeling better now. Before, it was hard because I was worried I was making the wrong decision, but I came home early to spend time with him and I saw a huge difference from just hours before. And then I was 100% sure it was the time and the right thing to do for him. A last act of kindness.
Love
Mom

Anonymous said...

Oh Chris, Sorry about Pokus and being so far away. A whole life, lots of furry affection Pokus style given to you. Sending hugs,
Marcia